New Year’s Eve Viennese Gala
Brighton Dome, Church Street, Brighton
Monday December 31, 2.45pm
Tickets £12.50-£39.50/u18s and students half price
The Brighton Philharmonic Orchestra’s popular Viennese Gala features a swirl of waltzes, marches and polkas by the Strauss dynasty, alongside an array of songs and arias from well-loved operettas and musicals performed with sparkle by the Russian soprano Ilona Domnich (pictured). The orchestra is conducted by Richard Balcombe.
Phone 01273 709709 or visit brightondome.org.
Berliner Philharmoniker: New Year’s Eve Concert (12A)
The Hawth, Hawth Avenue, Crawley
Monday December 31, 4pm
Tickets £16/over 60s and students £14
The conductor of this New Year’s Eve concert is Daniel Barenboim, one of the Berliner Philharmoniker’s oldest friends. He also takes on the role of soloist in Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 26 – a work of sparkling beauty and nuanced expression. There are also four famous works by Maurice Ravel, which create an impressive synthesis of elegance and originality. The final highlight is the Boléro, perhaps the most stunning crescendo in music history.
Phone 01293 553636 or visit parkwoodtheatres.co.uk.
- 10 top pop music acts playing Sussex this season
- 20 stars of the Eighties are coming out to play in Sussex this season
- 8 gorgeous places in Sussex to see the glow of autumn colour
- 30 great things for children to see and do this half-term
- Get your curious kids down to Brighton Science Festival for a bit of rocket science, robot wars and some vomiting pumpkins